"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Saturday, September 17, 2016

A Tale of Two Brothers, Through Music

"Mommy!" Max interrupted himself. We were in the middle of breakfast last week and he had been telling us about...honestly? I'm not sure. Max is a talker. He's a story-teller and a Tiny Moments Of His Day Sharer and a nonsense-babbler and a singer. Words are constantly coming out of his mouth. I'm not proud to admit it, but I don't always give him my 100% complete and undivided attention. Especially on busy school mornings.

But in this moment, on this morning, he had my attention...all of it.

"Whoa, buddy, what is it?"

"The other day in Music, our teacher asked us: 'Where do you find music?' and I had the PERFECT answer!"

"You did?" I asked, intrigued by his sudden enthusiasm at having recalled this forgotten story. "What did you say?"

Max jumped down from his stool. "Music!" he started, as he dramatically, theatrically, gestured all around, "is EVERYwhere!"

He put his hand to his heart, "It's in your heart!"

"It's innnn your VOOOOIIIICE!" he sang.

He ran to the counter and began drumming a beat. "Music is IN THIS COUNTER!"

He patted his legs. "It's IN MY LEGS!"

He ran, drummed, gestured, and enthused around the room. "Music can be found all around! Anything that can make noise can make music! Music is everywhere. Everything. Is. MUSIC!"

By now, we were all staring, perfectly still, mouths slightly agape, stunned by Max and his effusive demonstration. We were captivated, as Max's audiences typically are.

"Wow." I said. It was about all I could muster at 6:43 in the morning.

A second of silence elapsed and Evan spoke up from across the room.

"Oh, yeah. She asked my class that question, too."

We all turned to look at him.

"Yeah? What did you say, bud? Where do you find music."

He shrugged as he speared his next bite of waffle with his fork.

"It's in your phone."

Lesson Learned:

My boys. My literal logician and my daydream believer. I couldn't love them more.

3 comments :

  1. D is a musician: he tends to find music in the piano, but it quite happy to sing the "My little brother is an idiot" song quite a lot too. We don't like that one very much. J takes things a bit more literally, but he's had phone privileges suspended of late, so there's no music in there just now. Evil dad, I know, but that's how it goes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Again, our parallel lives. You, Evil dad, are just the worst.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I remind them from time to time that I'm their father, not their school buddy.

      "I hate you!"
      "That's a shame. Now do your homework."

      Delete