"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Happiness is...

Happiness is jeans weather. Fall is my season. (And it's not for the PSLs.) It's the angle of the sunlight, softer and warmer than it has been the last few months. It's the blue of the sky, brighter and crisper than any other time of the year. It's the chilly mornings, which warm up, slowly but surely, by the afternoons. It's the promise of sweaters and scented candles and baking and cozy just around the corner.


September is my time and this is my place.

After a weekend away last week, we were driving home. It had been an amazing weekend with my family (meeting baby Leo!) and I wasn't ready for it to end. But as I turned onto the street that would take us home, I caught my breath at the sight of our lovely little town. "There's something about the sky here," I said to Sam. "Or the air. I can breathe here."


Happiness is a morning spent down at the creek...wading in our creek boots; collecting acorns, pine cones, and tree bark for our upcoming Fairy Garden project; and panning for gold.



Evan knows all about the 49ers...at dinner last night he asked what the chances are that he might find some gold someday. We said that the chances were slim, but that there are panning sites in the mountains of North Carolina. Wouldn't it be fun to try that someday?

Forget someday, what about today?! Those North Carolina mountains? They're not so different from our own mountains. And those gold-flecked creeks? Well, we've got a creek right here! So we packed up our shovels and our sifters and got to panning.



There are some pretty shiny rocks in our creek...but no gold. Not today, at least.

But I was here, in my place, now, in my season, with these...my people.

He doesn't let me photograph him very often. 
When he does, though, oh I grab hold of that unicorn.


This one, on the other hand, has never met a camera lens
he didn't strike a pose for.




Lesson Learned:
Here. Now. I did some good moment-living this weekend. How about you?

***

A few more favorite photos from the weekend...

Friday night, dinner al fresco:


And straight-up sass from the threenager.


And a visit to Uncle Mike's brand new juice/smoothie bar and raw food kitchen: The Juice Laundry, in Charlottesville, Virginia. If you're in town, check it out. Skip the Pumpkin Spice Latte and enjoy a raw, organic, cold-pressed juice or delicious frosty fruit smoothie. Your body will be glad you did. 


1 comment :

  1. Such a beautiful part of the world, you've got there.

    I'm not much liking mine, but it has clean water and decent schools, so I have much to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete