"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Thursday, March 19, 2015

the school book sale

Every year our school has a Used Book Sale, where donated books are sold as a fundraiser for the PTO. Tonight was the night and, just before dinner, I told the kids "If you're going to want to buy books tonight, don't forget to bring some money. The books are 50 cents each."

While the boys ran up to their rooms, Molly sat on the couch reading books.

Evan came downstairs with a gold dollar coin. "I'm saving my dollars, but I've been collecting these gold coins from Pop and the tooth fairy. This one's from Pop. I'm only going to want to buy two books tonight."

Max called down for some assistance from Sam: "I need help opening up my piggy bank!" He, eventually, brought down a handful of quarters. "I'm going to buy every single Rainbow Magic book there is!"

Molly sat on the couch, still reading books, but now with her Elsa and Anna purse by her side.

When it was time to leave, I reminded them to grab their coins from the counter before putting on their shoes. Molly went to the mudroom and put on her red cowgirl boots. She was holding her Elsa and Anna purse like a little granny, in the crook of her elbow.

"Are you bringing your purse to school?" I asked her.

"Yes, for buying my books," she said.

"Oh! Of course!" I replied, "Let me just hold it for a minute while I help you put on your sweater."

As I took the purse from her, I noticed some heft to the otherwise near-weightless purse. I opened it up to find six pennies inside.

I don't know why, but I nearly cried.

"Oh, Molly! Is this your money to buy books?"

"Yes," she said, with a grin so big it threatened to turn her inside out.

"And you found this money all by yourself and put it in your purse?!"

"Yes! And Imma buy LOTS of new books!"

***

She bought her books, and proudly showed them to every person we passed in the hallways.

Lesson Learned:

This girl. I swear. She kills me, every day.

1 comment :

  1. Infinitely cute. Our youngest is a bit older than that, but he does some of the same things.

    ReplyDelete