"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Monday, December 22, 2014

now or never

"What'll it be for lunch, cutie?" I asked her a few weeks ago.

Now that Molly is on the downslope to three [gulp.] she has opinions about things that she never had before. I can no longer choose her clothes for her (or shoes! My god do NOT suggest which shoes she wear, if you know what's good for you!), and I should not, if I want her to eat, prepare her lunch without her prior consent.

She tapped her chin thoughtfully as she furrowed her brows in concentration. "Um. Lemme see....peanut butter sandwich, if you say so!"

"If I say so? Well, I don't say so, I'm asking you what you would like."

"Peanut butter sandwich, and I say so!" she decided.

One of my favorite things; one that sings with the adorableness of a burgeoning vocabulary and smiles at how confusing the development of the English language can be, is when little kids practice using grown up phrases and idioms in their speech.

I'm not sure I've ever said, "if you say so" to Molly, but she's clearly heard it somewhere and was looking forward to trying it out for herself.


Several days ago, after she finished her breakfast of waffles and syrup, she asked me to wash off her hands. "Mommy! I sticky! Wash off my hands please, now or never!"

"Now or never? Well, how about never? If I never wash your hands, you'll have to wash your own hands," I reasoned.

"No, Mommy, you do it. Not never. Now, please."

And today, at naptime, I tucked her in and read her a story. As she twirled a strand of my hair around her fingers she yawned, her eyes drowsy. "I take a nappy, Mommy?"

"Yes, baby. It's time to take a nap."

"Now or never?"

"Now, baby."

"Okay, Mommy."

And with that, she was out.

Lesson Learned:
No, no...this is my favorite stage.

4 comments :

  1. Of course, in my country "nappy" is what you'd call a daiper, that is all kinds of funny for me. ;)

    Have a happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that every time she calls it that!! :) Merry merry to you and yours, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am a semi-new reader, but just wanted to comment to say that I love your blog! Your daughter sounds like a little cutie patootie. It's so funny what kids come out with sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Nicole! She's a stinker, alright. I love that, even as such little kids, their BIG personalities shine so brightly. <3

      Delete