"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Monday, November 24, 2014

Stitch Fix: A Review

Ohmygod! Ohmygod! Ohmygod!

Look what was in my mailbox this afternoon!


My very first Stitch Fix box. Squeeeee!

I've been thinking of trying Stitch Fix for a while now. It's an online personal shopping service, which, in theory, is right up my alley. I'm not a good clothes-shopper. Mostly, it's because I rarely go into stores other than Target and the grocery store. Also, I'm usually with at least one small child while shopping, for whom dressing rooms become small and boring and escapable quite quickly...usually about halfway into that first pair of jeans. And finally, I suck at shopping for clothes because, when faced with an entire store full of clothing options, I more than likely leave the store with an armful of black, gray, and white t-shirts.

So, for my birthday this year, I decided to put my Birthday Fun Money (which my parents give to me each year with the firm instructions to "Spend this on something for you! Something frivolous! Something fun!") towards my very first Fix. What could be more frivolous than filling out a quick questionnaire online and magically receiving a box full of new clothes?!

For this gray t-shirt girl, not a whole lot.

The online questionnaire was quick and painless. In fact, I wasn't convinced that the little information they asked of me could yield a thorough and accurate style profile, but I was happy to trust the system.

At the last minute (like, last week, when I got the reminder email that my Fix was being assembled), I remembered that I have been wearing my two (ahem, black) cardigans Every. Single. Day. I decided to add a note about my affinity for the librarian staple...you know, just in case my stylist had somehow misinterpreted my style profile and was imagining me to be some edgy hipster or something.

Then. I waited. Until today. (Two days before the day the Fix was scheduled for, by the way! It's like she knows me!)

Taa-Daaaaaahh!


Inside that pretty little package are five, specifically-selected-for-me articles of clothing and/or accessories. You have three days to try on and decide whether or not you want to keep the clothes. If you decide not to keep something, you simply stick it in the self-addressed, postage-paid mailer included in the package and drop it off at the post office. Anything you'd like to keep, you pay for through your Stitch Fix account. If you choose to keep all five articles, a discount of 25% is applied to your total order.

Let's take a peek, shall we?

[So now comes the portion of the program during which we enter my closet and I take selfies while trying on my new clothes. Totally normal blog material.]

The Distressed Boyfriend Jean 
$78


I'm not usually one for cropped jeans. Mostly because of my pencil-thin ankles coupled with my had-three-babies hips. But these? These, I like.

Keep!

 The Open-Draped Knit Cardigan
$68


I mean. LOVE. I'll live in this thing.

Keep!

The Draped Colorblock Cardigan
$68

Okay. First of all, look at this. It's a rectangle. With arms.


And it's burgandy. Burgandy is definitely not black, gray, or white.
I never in a million years would have picked this thing up off a rack.

But...

I like it!

And then...OMG it's like a Snuggie you can wear out in public!


I LOVE this.

Keep!

The V-neck Dolman top
$48


Another no-brainer. Easy and comfy like a t-shirt, but with a shape that says I Give a Damn About My Appearance!

Keep!

The Arrow Pendant Necklace
$28


I'm not a big jewelry person. I wear my wedding bands and tiny silver hoop earrings, and aside from an occasional bracelet, that's it. I see this as a gift...something extra that I wouldn't have bought for myself but that I'll be happy to wear now that I have it.

Keep!

Total: $290

Okay. I don't spend $300 on clothing for me. Ever. My wedding dress cost less than $300.
But...
with the $20 styling fee credit...
and the 25% discount for keeping all five items...

New Total: $202.50
Which is, for me, a reasonable amount of (mostly birthday!) money to spend on five great, high-quality items that will completely round out my wardrobe this season....and will last a lot longer than a cheapy-Target tee.

(Target! I'm kidding! Don't listen to me. I love you and your cheapy tees!!)

Lesson Learned:
This was such a fun birthday present for me. I'll probably get another Fix someday. Maybe in the spring when I'm looking at my closet full of boring white tees....

In the meantime, if you want to try your own Stitch Fix, use my referral code! I'll get the credit and you'll get the karma:

https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/4321363

Happy not shopping!

No comments :

Post a Comment