"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Sunday, October 5, 2014

making a scene

Oh, our Maxwell. He's full of ideas. Most of his ideas are big and loud and messy and full of creativity. Just like he is. 

A few weeks ago, after spending some time coloring in his new coloring book, Max came to me and said, "Okay, Mommy. Now I just need scissors, lots of glue, gigantic paper, and tons of colors. I'm going to make...a scene!"

"You're going to make a scene, huh?" I asked him. "Is that if I don't help you find the art supplies you need?" The pun was lost on him.

We didn't have any gigantic paper lying around, but we did have a whole roll of contact paper, which I figured would also eliminate the need for "lots" of glue. I scrounged up some tissue paper and he got to work.

Here is his (almost) completed scene:


It wasn't actually finished, though, until he grabbed a Sharpie and wrote a story sentence at the bottom. This Big Idea is one of my favorite Max Ideas. I love that he thinks big. I love that he takes a coloring book and turns it into something creative and one-of-a-kind. I love that he insisted that his "illustration" needed some "authoring" before it was complete. I love that we have an art cabinet that can inspire him and help him bring his ideas to life.

Yesterday, Max started coloring in a new coloring book. I had a feeling I knew where this was going. Sure enough, from the moment I stepped bleary-eyed and un-caffeinated downstairs this morning, it was, "Mommy! Mommy! Let's make a scene! Can we make a scene! I really really really really really really want to make a scene!" So, instead of heading out first thing this morning to get some writing done...we made a scene.

Materials:
Coloring book images, colored and cut out
crayons
scissors
contact paper (we used a bit of construction paper on this one, too)
tissue paper


After your images are colored and cut out, place them face-down on the sticky side of the contact paper.



Cover the remaining contact paper with tissue paper. Molly's scene took place high in the sky, so she used various shades of blue. Max used the colors he thought were appropriate for the sky, grass, water, an island, and even a campfire.


When all the sticky is covered, trim the edges and flip over to see your finished Scene!




If you want, add a story sentence or other embellishments with Sharpies.

Lesson Learned:
Coloring, cutting, tearing paper: Fine Motor Skills
Planning and implementing image lay-out and design in reverse: Critical thinking and Organizational Skills
Image placement and story-telling: Creativity and Language Skills
Story writing: Handwriting and Phonemic Awareness Skills

This Big Idea of Max's has it all. I just love this kid.

No comments :

Post a Comment