"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Deep Thoughts

These kids of mine....



"You know what just blows my mind?" Evan asked me as we crossed the parking lot. I couldn't wait to find out. What? What could possibly "blow the mind" of my seven-year old?

"It's, like, there are so many people in the world. And there have always been so many people in the world for, like, millions and millions of years. And, somehow....I was born to be me. Isn't that so...weird? Like, out of alllllllllll those people, I'm me."

And my mind was blown, too: When did my kid start saying "like" like he's some kind of pre-tween?

"Well, bud, you were born to be you because I'm the luckiest mommy in the world and I got all the best kids. That's why."

He playfully pushed me away as we neared our picnic spot, but I caught a glimpse of that smile.

***

I was taking a walk with Max and Molly. We noticed the creek and the bugs and the plants and the way the dappled sunlight lit our path in polka dots. Max, though, was quieter than usual...which means he wasn't voicing a constant stream of consciousness.

Finally, as we crested the final ridge toward home, he spoke:

"Mommy? What would have happened if the first human being that evolved to be a human being was a boy? How would more human beings be born?"

"Wha--? Oh, umm...well, you see...it was the entire species of humans that evolved together..."I started, fumbling.

He cut me off: "We were lucky it was a girl human that evolved first, weren't we?!"

At which point, the only necessary response was, "We sure were," which seemed to suffice. We went home and had some lemonade.


Lesson Learned:
They're seven and four. ONLY seven and four.

I'm in deep, deep trouble.

At least they're not too cerebral to be goofy...



(And I've said it before and I'll say it again: Thank god for Google.)

2 comments :

  1. god i love them!!! deep thoughts from two sweet, thoughtful boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are PERFECT. But be sure to prep yourself for lots of "But Mom why didn't you get this concept..." speeches later in life. (I'm sure my mom and your mom would be happy to fill you in on how to deal with those! LOL) You're a star Sarah!

    ReplyDelete