"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Monday, May 12, 2014

My Writing Process: A Blog Tour

I met Nicole on Twitter because it's 2014 and that's how we blogging mamas do.

In addition to being a mommy of three, she's a reader and a writer like me, but she's more of an academic type while I'm more of a Writing Gives Me An Excuse To Be Alone In A Coffee Shop type. She's great. Nicole writes over at:

http://3kids2cats1dog.wordpress.com

Through her, I found out about this blog tour about My Writing Process, and I was excited to take part. So here we go....

What am I working on?
I'm working on becoming a Writer. (Capital W.) More than blogging, I want to write for an audience. Ultimately, it would be great to (someday) even earn something by writing...but today I'm happy just to know that people are reading the words that I've taken from my head and put onto the screen. There's something very validating in that, and we all know that validation and recognition can be hard to come by as a stay at home mom. I've written for Mommy Hot Spot, Scary Mommy, and the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Now if I could only get one foot in the door of a children's book publishing house....I've got a story to sell. (And it's fabulous.)

How does my work differ from others of its genre?
My blog is different from other mommy bloggers' because I have my own stories to tell (as we all do). My kids provide a seemingly endless supply of material and I have a knack for recalling conversations with them verbatim. I don't write to stir controversy or to make sweeping generalizations about motherhood or child development or life, which are the articles that garner the most attention, rack up the comments, and go viral. But I'm okay with not being the next It writer....I just want to tell our stories and make connections with other moms who are going through similar experiences.

Why do I write what I do?
I started my blog as a memory-keeper of the lightning-fast time that is my kids' childhood and though I write about my own thoughts and struggles in this space, too, I'm trying to maintain the focus of my blog as a time capsule for them. I can't wait for them to be able to read back through it one day....and see what pains in my ass they could be joys of my life they always were.

How does my writing process work?
Most of my blog entries are ripped straight from true life. I write stories shortly after they happen and try to write in first-person, present tense to allow the reader to feel as though they are right there with me in the moment. The stories I write come quickly and easily and, to be honest, I do very little editing once the words are on the screen. My more introspective pieces (the ones in which I'm writing about a thought process, one of my kids reaching a milestone, a discovery/decision we've made, or a parenting move we're about to make) take longer. The "thesis" of the post comes to me and I spend a few days or a week mulling it over in my head before I begin to craft the piece. Often, inspiration for a piece like this will come to me in a statement I make or a question I ask during a conversation with one of my Circle of Moms buddies or Sam. Something I say or hear will resonate with me and the words will start swirling in my head until they start to suffocate me. Truly, when I have something on my mind that needs to be written down, I feel like I can't breathe. That's when I steal away to a coffee shop for a few hours on a Sunday morning...and write...until I can inhale properly.

Coming up next week:
Check out these mamas from my neck of the woods...

Krissy
I met Krissy when we were both young, single teachers....and look at us now! Two husbands, six kids, five houses, and a decade or so later...we stay connected by reading each other's blogs and finding comfort in the fact that during those inevitable hard days? We're not alone. Find her writing about life as a baker, runner, and mama of identical twin boys (plus an I-can-keep-up-with-my-big-brothers! daughter) here:
http://krissywatson.blogspot.com


Stacy
Stacy is a mama to three beautiful daughters who blogs about her family's story, including parenthood and adoption; as well as her personal interests, including baking and photography. You can read more about their journey and their adventures here:
www.ourredthreadtocadence.blogspot.com


Beth
This one's a little different for a Writing Process blog tour. Beth is a local photographer who tells her stories (and the stories of her clients) through photos instead of words. Check out her unique perspective, and her beautiful work here:
www.3catsphoto.com

No comments :

Post a Comment