"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Whack-A-Mole

Today was Evan's first appointment with our new pediatrician.

The first step along our path towards answers.

It was a nice, comfortable, big step. After talking for almost half an hour, I felt as though I had had a chance to fully explain Evan's medical, social, emotional, and developmental history. (I had to do this, as it turned out, because the old office STILL has not forwarded his records. Anyway.) I felt as though the new doc Listened to me, Heard me, and asked good follow-up questions. At the end of the talking, she suggested she put in a request for a psychological consult. I totally agree with this suggestion. I think I (and Sam and I as a parenting unit) will gain as much as I hope Evan will.

And then, although he had just been examined a month ago at his six-year well-check, she said, "Well, since we're here, let me just give him a quick once over and then, off to school, big guy!"

As soon as she had completed her exam, he needed to use the potty. Of course. So I walked him across the hall to the restroom. I walked back into the exam room to see the doctor adding more notes into his chart.

She looked at me seriously, with slightly furrowed brows.

"Has anyone ever looked into his heart murmur?" she asked, "What's the history there?"

???

Whaa??

Heart murmur?

"Uh? What? No. No one's ever mentioned a heart murmur....."

"Yes. It's clear as day.....When did you say his last check-up was?"

"A month ago."

"A month?" Raised eyebrows. More notes in the chart.

I left the room to help Evan open the heavy bathroom door.

We came back in together.

"So, in addition to the psychologist, I also put in a request for an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist. I'll leave it up to him, but I'd like to see an echocardiogram."

Lesson Learned:
It's probably nothing. It's very common in children.

But, holy shit. It's medical Whack-A-Mole with this kid.

No comments :

Post a Comment