"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Thursday, January 24, 2013

snow day!

We all needed this snow day.

A day to let our on-the-verge-of-sick bodies rest and recuperate.

A day to be together with nowhere to go and nothing much to do.

A day to Just Play.



A day to let the wild animals roam free.


A day to lay back and enjoy the ride.





A day to snuggle...

...with big brother...


...and giant teddy.
{My sweet little still-recovering baby girl.}


A day for arts and crafts. 
{Be still my heart.}

We made Melted Crayon Hearts to give to our friends for Valentine's Day.
We've done this before, but here's the refresher:

1) Put the kids to work peeling crayons. This takes more time than you would think, so go ahead and pour yourself a cup of coffee.


2) When your crayons are all naked, snap a pretty picture and then snap the crayons into bits.



3) Place the bits and pieces into silicone molds. (We used mini hearts, large hearts, and large stars.)


4) In an oven preheated to 200 degrees, bake them for 20-30 minutes. 
I put the molded pans onto baking sheets in case they bubbled over.


5) Once they cool, pop the crayons out of the molds and attach to valentines.


So pretty.

Lesson Learned:
When I was a kid, my mom bought four gallons of milk each week. She wasn't hoarding, there were ten of us; we drank a lot of milk. In the winter, without fail, someone would glance at my mom's apparent stockpile in the cart and stop her: "Oh! Are they calling for snow?! I'd better grab a loaf of bread." 

People always assumed that my mom's fingers must be crossed that school wouldn't be cancelled for snow. What stay-at-home mom of eight would want their kids around all day, begging to be suited up to go out and play only to come in, freezing and wet, 20 minutes later begging for hot chocolate? Well, my mom, for one. She also counted down the days until summer vacation with us. And in late August, when other moms were rolling their eyes and longing for the First Day of School, my mom was at the pool with us, and only grudgingly buying school supplies and new backpacks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were (many) times that my mom would have gladly packed us up and shipped us off for a couple hours of Quiet. But she and my dad wanted a full house. They like full and noisy and busy and having eight kids kind of guarantees those things. They celebrated snow days and summer breaks because it meant a full house....all is right in the world when all the baby birds are warm in the nest. 

I like my nest full, too. I need to remind myself every now and then.
...Today was a great reminder.

No comments :

Post a Comment