"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Monday, October 22, 2012

make-your-own light table

I have been reading preschool blogs featuring Light Tables a lot lately (I'm looking at YOU, Play at Home Mom). I wanted one. For the kids, of course. I wanted to be able to set up a visually inviting, quiet, independent activity that the boys could use in a darkened, quiet room. Maybe while Molly was napping. And I was in another room, oh, I don't know--on the couch, enjoying a cup of coffee and my Us Weekly?

Or something.

Plus, I have some inside information about a certain Jolly Old Soul bringing a certain Wild Thing some Light Table Fabulous presents in a few months. (Magna-Tiles. I can NOT wait to play with them. I mean play with Max with them.)

But light tables are expensive. At least the pretty ones with a decently large play surface are....and are my kids REALLY going to use it enough to justify the expense? Before I spend the money, I have to be sure. So, I figured we'd test out a DIY Light Table and then, maybe someday, if we see the need, we'll upgrade.

I only needed to buy the bin ($11 on sale at Target) and here's what we came up with:


Those are Christmas lights inside the box, with parchment paper taped to the inside of the lid to diffuse the light.


Not bad for a DIY (in under ten minutes for less than $12) Light Table, or Glow Box, as Max dubbed it. Which, by the way, I think is a much better term for it, so from this point forward, Glow Box it is.

Max jumped right into this one. (You hear that, Santa? It's a Yes on those Magna-Tiles!) He especially loved the colorful glass beads (aka, according to Max, Candy Drops).


Evan was mesmerized by the primary color panels...


Particularly when he made this "toucan."  "You've gotta come see this!" he called, "The toucan's eating some seeds!"


Lesson Learned:
Oh, Pinterest. How I love you so. Now go make your own Glow Box. You'll be glad you did.

And now, for some gratuitous cuteness:

No comments :

Post a Comment