"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Sunday, July 15, 2012

what's that you say?

"I'm going down to the basement to get some suitcases, Max. Do you want to stay up here or come with me?"

"Come with you."

"Okay, let's go. But let me hold you. [As we're walking past Molly's room, I say in a whisper...] We have to be really quiet as we go down the steps because we don't want to wake the Mollster."


"[Also whispering, and with his arms tight around my neck...] Okay, I be very, very quiet. I promise."

We arrive in the basement storage room and the search begins.

"I might be the first to spot those suitcases, Mommy." Max says, still whispering.

"You don't have to whisper anymore, baby."

"Oh.....[pause]...well where are they, then?"

"I'm not sure, they're around here somewhere."

"Oh, around here?"

"Yup. We're looking for the two big ones. Do you see them?"

Quickly, Max is at my side, now holding my leg.

"There they are!" I say as I spot them, and make my way around the still-unpacked boxes and bins that fill our storage room.

"Where?"

"The suitcases? They're right there." I say, pointing.

"No, the sleeping Monster. I don't want to wake him up."

***
Oops. Guess that's the end of that nickname for our Molly Girl. And....bet he'll never go in the basement alone ever again.

Lesson Learned:
Sometimes, it seems, childhood is one big miscommunication after another.

No comments :

Post a Comment