"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

spy games: overheard

Sam and I were getting the boys' bath ready/folding laundry while Molly played on the floor. Max and Evan were milling around our room aimlessly when Max said, "Hey, Evan? Wanna play Spy with me?" To which his sweet big brother answered (and I'm not making this up), "Sure, Max. I would love to play Spy with you."

So Max ran into my closet, grabbed my hot pink, flower-embellished flats, and slipped them on his feet. For some reason, every time they play Spy he wears these shoes. These hot pink sandals. With flowers. I also have a pair of wedges with flower embellishments on them, so the pink ones are my "Flower Flats" as opposed to my, naturally, "Flower Wedges."

The boys ran into Max's room and the game began.

But, as quickly as they had assumed their characters, the game paused...

Evan: Max. Why do you always wear those Flower Flats when we play Spy?

Max: Because they're beautiful, Evan.

Evan: But why do spies need beautiful things?

Max: Because they're so pretty, Evan.

Evan: Well, maybe two-year old spies need beautiful things, but not big boy spies like five or ten or a hundred years old.

Max: It's called one hundred, Evan.

Evan: Max, "a hundred" is another way of saying "one hundred."

Max: Oh. Okay.

At this point, Sam and I are dying laughing, trying not to be heard in the next room, lest we break the spell.

Lesson Learned:
Oh, to be a fly on the wall all the time....

No comments :

Post a Comment