"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Monday, December 19, 2011

north african curry

I have been loving curry recently...I'm not sure if it's a true pregnancy craving, I'm not having Sam run out at 9 o'clock at night to pick some up or anything (which I've been known to do for macaroni and cheese and Papa John's breadsticks), but I've been loving it nonetheless. We've had our fill of the mild Thai green curry recipe, though, and I wasn't sure if the boys (or my heartburn) would appreciate spicier Indian curry at the moment, so it was time to expand our culinary map.

I read a bunch of North African Curry recipes on various online recipe finder sites (food.com, allrecipes, etc.) but, of course, failed to bookmark any of them, so when it came time to cook, I had to kind of wing it. It worked, though! So here it is, recorded for all of Internet eternity, so I never have to fail to bookmark it again.

North African Curry

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
one onion, chopped or sliced
little bit olive oil

cherry tomatoes, quartered
three or four celery stalks, chopped
1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

spices (all amounts approximate)
*3/4 tsp. cumin
*1/4 tsp. turmeric
*1/4 tsp. cinnamon
*1 tbsp. (maybe less) parsley (I used dried, but would have used fresh if I kept fresh herbs around)

chicken broth, maybe 1 cup, maybe more if you want it more soupy
cous cous, cooked

Make it:
Cook onions over medium-high heat in a bit of olive oil until they just start to turn translucent. Add chicken and cook several more minutes until starting to cook through. Add veggies, chickpeas, and spices, stir to coat evenly. Add broth, cover, and reduce heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes or so. When I lifted the lid after about 20 minutes, it was really soupy. I cooked it for several more minutes, uncovered, to thicken it up a bit. Serve with cous cous.

Lesson Learned:
I LOVED this. So did Sam. So did Max! He ate up every bite (but this is also the kid who eats raw onions and olives by the handful). Evan wasn't into the cooked veggies or the sauciness, but devoured all of the "Yellow Chicken." I may throw in some carrots next time, too. And maybe some spinach leaves at the very end. Not that he'll eat those either, but that's why I serve "safe sides" (raw carrots, apple slices, yogurt, dried fruit, etc.) at every dinner, especially when we're trying new dishes. This one's going into the rotation for sure.

No comments :

Post a Comment