"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

magical mousse

I saw a link to this recipe on Pinterest because everything is on Pinterest. I can't seem to track down the original link, though, so I'm extending my apologies and thanks to the genius who came up with this.

This is homemade, dairy-free, soy-free, potentially even SUGAR-free CHOCOLATE MOUSSE.

So you start with a can of full-fat coconut milk (the reduced fat won't yield as much). Stick it in the fridge overnight. The next day, when you open the can, you'll see that the coconut milk has separated into a thick paste on top and the coconut water on the bottom of the can.

Scoop out the paste (per the hints on the original post: save the water to add to smoothies). Add to it some vanilla, some cocoa powder (a few tablespoons), and, if desired, some sweetener to taste (I used sugar, but would have used agave nectar if we had any on hand).

Whip it up. I just used a whisk and whipped it by hand. It yielded a creamy, pudding-like consistency. I'm not sure if using an electric mixer would have made a fluffier texture.

And you're done!

(The original recipe was for whipped "cream." Instead of cocoa powder, they added a bit of cinnamon and omitted the sugar.)

Lesson Learned:
I really hyped this one to the boys. And for good reason: I LOVED it. Them? Not so much. I don't know if they didn't like the coconutty flavor (which was mild, in my opinion) or if I added too much cocoa for their tastes. (Oddly enough, neither are huge chocolate kids--Evan because dairy-free chocolate just isn't as good and Max, probably because we just don't usually keep it in the house...well, we do, I just eat it all after they go to sleep. I guess it's time I introduce Max to the good stuff.) Whatever the reason, though, they each took one bite of this delicious treat and turned up their noses. Max said, "I don' like chocolate mousse anymore." Evan said, "I was picturing chocolate in the shape of a moose."

More for me!

No comments :

Post a Comment