"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

gratitude

Today, I am thankful.....

that I had the opportunity to see my size-of-a-lime baby wave tiny baby arms, cross tiny baby legs, and suck tiny baby fists during an ultrasound.

for an OB who gets as excited as I do when we hear the baby's heartbeat on the Doppler monitor. Each and every time.

to be 12 weeks and 1 day pregnant. With the worst of the sickness behind me (knocking vigorously on wood) and with the beginning of the happy/comfortable/relaxed/energetic/glow-worthy second trimester within sight.

to still have my hair intact and healthy (albeit completely devoid of style....suggestions?). And to know that the Horrendous Hair Loss Fiasco of my second pregnancy's first trimester is not my forever-after fate for current or future pregnancies.

to have two young kiddos who were kind and patient enough with me throughout my most on-the-floor sick days. Who surprised me, and probably themselves, with their ability to entertain themselves and each other when Mommy needed a little extra time in the morning.

for pbskids.com and specifically, The Wild Kratts, which has occupied my 4-year old's Quiet Time and allowed me to "Rest My Eyes" on the couch just about every afternoon. Also, for teaching him even more about animals than he already knew. He has regularly been donning Creature Power Suits, which give him the power to run like a cheetah, jump like a caracal, swim like a remora, glide like a draco, and more.  Fuel for the imagination of a very imaginative and creature-loving kiddo.

for my husband who, at this very moment, and for the billionth time already this pregnancy, has gone to pick up take-out (soup and fish tacos!) after getting dinner for the boys....and who will, no doubt, continue to do so happily and without complaint many times over the course of the next 28 weeks (year?).

for my volley-ball-sized belly, which, despite the fact that this baby is only 6.1 cm long, and at only 12 weeks, is making this pregnancy impossible to conceal. Which just allows me to shout the good news from the rooftop all the easier. And what pregnant woman doesn't just bask in the belly-glance-smiles that strangers everywhere just can't help but to give?

and....
for my great big family. With so much to celebrate....new jobs, new homes, weddings, babies, success in school, success in sports....and so much to look forward to as our family continues to achieve important and grown-up milestones and continues to grow and multiply....and so much love, support, and pride between and among us.

Lesson Learned:
Don't blame it on the pregnancy hormones, this gratitude sappiness is always present. I'm the nerd who insists that we go around the table and Give Thanks at Thanksgiving Dinner. And I call re-do for the people who say lame things like "Air to breathe." But I know they secretly love it.....because when I'm not there, someone steps in and says it for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment