"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Monday, August 15, 2011

and then there were two. JUST TWO!!!

A while back, I posted about Evan's (and Max's) recent skin prick allergy tests. Following the results (all negatives, except for Evan's stubborn milk intolerance), it was recommended that Evan have blood drawn for RAST testing, which is a more trusted test of true allergies. We've done it before. Based on his RAST numbers, it would be determined if Evan is still in fact allergic to some of these foods (peanuts, all tree nuts, all fish and shellfish, and sesame) or if it was time for some food challenges.

Today I called for the results.....[drumroll...]. He's still allergic to peanuts (level 3 RAST, which indicates a high level of allergic response) and to raw milk (I didn't get the level, but he's still demonstrating a response to raw milk protein. He's been consuming small amounts of baked milk...in cookies, cupcakes, etc. but has not consumed any other dairy like cheese or yogurt. We still need to avoid these.). But he's negative to ALL of the rest! And not just negative as in "a statistically insignificant number," but negative as in ZERO, as in NO CHANCE of allergic reaction if ingested.

This is so huge.

It's huge because it basically eliminates the fear I've carried around with me for the past 3+ years of watching my baby experience anaphylaxis again. And it's huge because a zero, as opposed to "a statistically insignificant number" means NO FOOD CHALLENGES!!

Can you imagine if we had had to challenge EACH individual tree nut, and fish, and shellfish?! It would have probably gone something like this or this or worse. No, definitely worse.

I would have gone crazy. Or we would have just continued to avoid because the prospect of putting Evan through that (or me, or the nurses, for that matter) would have seemed nightmarish.

I literally cannot think of a better outcome to the testing. (Well, technically zeroes on milk and peanut would have been better, but raw milk and peanuts are so easy to avoid. I mean, who doesn't know a kid allergic to peanuts?!)

Lesson Learned:
So, I get off the phone with the nurse and tell Evan the good news. "It doesn't matter," he says, "I'm not eating that stuff anyway." Just as I suspected, my love. But considering we are down to just two little allergies after an initial diagnosis of 13+, I'll just be happy enough for the two of us.

No comments :

Post a Comment