"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Friday, July 29, 2011

walking water

I saw this experiment on an Australian preschool blog I've been reading called Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning. I knew I had to try it with the boys. And I'm also now considering moving to Australia in time to enroll my kids for preschool. Seriously. Not really. But the bloggers are creating an online database of preschools and they are all A-MAY-ZING. They travel the country interviewing teachers and directors, observing students playing and learning, and photographing the centers and the activities at each. The programs are creative, rich, and engaging and furthermore, I want my kids to have Australian accents.

Back to Walking Water.

So you'll need two glasses and something to elevate one of them. Fill the top glass with colored water. Tell your little one that you can make the water WALK from the top cup into the bottom cup. They will be astonished. Or if he's Evan, he'll say, "Okay." So you may have to help build some excitement.


So you'll brainstorm some ways to get the water to move ("You could just pour it.") and then, eventually, you'll reach the conclusion to build a bridge! Use a strip of paper towel, just long enough to reach from the bottom of the top cup into the bottom cup (doesn't have to touch the bottom).

And then...watch the water walk across the bridge!



We left it up all day...by dinner time, all of the water had completed the journey.


Lesson Learned:
Another quick and easy science lesson. It really was cool to watch. Next up...food-colored carnations and daisies? Yup, I think so.

No comments :

Post a Comment