"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Saturday, June 25, 2011

time flies....

Tonight was Movie Night at our house. It was a cozy, snuggly event in which I was able to introduce Evan and Max to one of my Disney favorites, Beauty and the Beast. Well, Max caught the first 20 minutes or so.

But, while I was watching, I was trying desperately to distract myself from singing along to every single song, and thus, ruining the movie for the rest of the viewers. And so I got to thinking...

I was thinking back to a year ago...when, on this very night, we were preparing ourselves, mentally and physically, for what was to be Operation: Potty Training. You can relive those memories with me here, here, here, and here. I had heard that Potty Training is Hard, so we were prepared. And yet, while I had braced myself for the worst, it was relatively painless. Easy, even.

But the memories didn't stop there. Because, in addition to the words to every song, I can also recite just about every line of dialogue. I really like Movie Night, and I don't want my family to stop inviting me to the couch.

And so, I thought back to this night seven years ago. A few hours from now, I'd be laying awake in bed, in the spare room of my sister and brother-in-law's house. Wide awake, but knowing I should sleep; wide awake listening to the rain pouring down and wondering what the hell we were going to do about our wedding that was supposed to be held IN A GARDEN the VERY next day.

The next morning, my father-in-law-to-be and various members of my husband-to-be's bridal party headed over to the garden to survey the damage. It was a total swamp. So....they brought out their shop-vacs. I'm not making this up. They, literally, tried to vacuum up the swamp in time for my mid-afternoon nuptuals. It didn't work.

As it turned out, our location had a lovely built-in contingency plan--a room off of our reception room that looked like a giant, lush, living room. (I hadn't paid attention to such details in the planning phases.) We were married, indoors, in a ceremony that was, at once, very personal, very meaningful, and to the delight of our guests, quite short. But the party that followed wasn't. We celebrated into the evening at the reception with 150 of our favorite people, into the night back at the after-party with our very closest family and friends....


...and throughout the next seven years....and counting.

Lesson Learned:
I've heard it said that, like potty training, Marriage is Hard. But, I've come to realize, in the last seven years, that if you marry the right person, at the right time, and for the right reasons, Marriage isn't hard. It's relatively painless. Easy, even.

So, Happy Anniversary, babe. And thanks for making it easy....even when I'm the one making it hard. And for always inviting me to Movie Night, even when I can't promise that I won't sing along.

No comments :

Post a Comment