"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Sunday, April 24, 2011

easter, my way

Although I am not a religious person, I do find myself celebrating "Easter" each year. Now that I have kids, the celebrating involves the requisite visit from the Easter Bunny, who leaves a few sweet treats...

Baby's First Peep (the first of three of the day)

...new pajamas, and a few spring/summer toys (bubbles, chalk, water games, etc.). He also hides coin-filled eggs for the boys to find and fill their piggy banks with.....


But there's more. It's also a day spent with family, wearing Fancy New Spring Clothes...

Huge victory of the day: Getting Evan to agree to Short Sleeves. No small feat.

...and spending time outside (which Mother Nature provided for perfectly this year).




But there's more.

Although I am not a religious person, I find myself recognizing and celebrating a different kind of "resurrection" on this day....it's the beauty of nature and it's waking-up from winter, it's burst of color in my garden, it's life-sustaining power. I do believe in "something" bigger than me, something like God...It may sound totally corny, but my backyard is my church...



And Mother Nature is my god. Well, one of them, anyway.

Have you read the poem Sunday Morning by Wallace Stevens? You should. I won't copy it here, but it is about a woman who spends her Easter Sunday morning not at church, but at home, having a sunny, leisurely breakfast and enjoying the beauty of the natural world around her. She becomes consumed with guilt, however, over her decision to forsake the conventional devotions of the day. The poet questions her guilt and suggests there is a godliness, or divinity, in the beauty, power, and change of nature. It is, in fact, the changing of nature which makes it divine. My favorite line of the poem is, "Death is the mother of beauty." We appreciate the budding spring all the more because it follows the lifelessness of winter. We appreciate a sunny day after the rain. We look forward to the first crisp evening in the fall after the suppressive heat of the summer.

This is what I celebrate on Easter. And my family. Always, my family.



This morning, after the Easter Egg hunt and the consumption of massive quantities of jelly beans (and a sneaky Reece's Peanut Butter Egg for me, which is ordinarily strictly forbidden in this peanut-avoiding house), we headed outside. Sam cleaned and organized the garage (hooray!) and I assembled our new compost drum, which I will use to make compost to fertilize our new vegetable garden, coming later this spring! (Stay tuned for frequent updates as we embark on this endeavor to grow our own food. Well, our own cucumbers. And maybe tomatoes. And, hopefully, strawberries. But maybe just basil. We'll see.)

Site of Future Vegetable Garden
Lesson Learned:
The older I get, the more I realize that it's not what you celebrate, but that you celebrate....Believe in something. Take moments to recognize something that's bigger and more important than you, whether it's God, Nature, Family, or Love, and celebrate that you have That in your life.

No comments :

Post a Comment