"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

bathtime

I felt pretty lousy today. Fevery, achy, just plain crappy. So when Sam got home from work, I immediately went upstairs to take a long, hot bath. I brought the magazines that have been waiting patiently to be read and got ready for some quiet, meditative, alone time that was sure to help me to feel better.

And then Evan came up. And he saw our big, huge, jetted tub filling up with loads of bubbles and he said, "Me too! I want to take a bath, too!" Who could blame him? So I ditched the magazines, threw on a bathing suit, and in we went.

For over half an hour, I sat with my Big Boy and Talked. We talked about school ("My favorite part is playing with my friends. I do that sometimes, now. But I don't like going outside. I just walk around and around."). We talked about Annie ("She really loves going to school with me. I don't tell my teachers that she's there, though, because she's just for me to know about. She's special.") We talked about Aunt Katie and Uncle Mike and Brennan and Olivia and Lauren (who also happen to be our best friends and right-around-the-corner neighbors) and their upcoming Move to a New City ("I just really think I'm going to miss them a lot when they move to the new house. And their toys. I'm really going to miss their tow truck and their fire truck......and Brennan's police station."). We talked about how, when he was a teeny tiny baby, growing in my tummy, I used to take baths in this tub and watch him move all around my belly---and now, in just a blink, look how big you are. We just talked.

And made Bubble Beards.

Lesson Learned:
It wasn't quiet, it wasn't meditative, but I sure did feel better.

No comments :

Post a Comment