"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Friday, December 17, 2010

baby loves pot roast

I have never in my life bought beef that wasn't already ground up. Seriously. I've also never bought any meat still on a bone. I'm not really adventurous when it comes to cooking or eating meat, but this recipe looked really perfect for a snow day. I had to bring a cheat sheet with me to the store to ensure that I got the right kind of meat for this one. I was looking for Beef Chuck Roast. The cuts of meat were packaged to look like really big steaks. It had a sticker on it that said, "meat for marinating." Hopefully that helps any other meat-buying novice out there.
Crock Pot Roast
recipe adapted from Parents magazine
2 lbs. beef chuck roast, cut into large-ish chunks
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
2 cups dry pasta (I used rotini)
baby carrots
green beans
peas
spinach
Coat crock pot with cooking spray. Put in chunked meat, spaghetti sauce, and water. Cook on low for 7.5 hours. Add uncooked pasta, carrots, green beans, and peas (or whatever other veggies you have on hand) and cook on high for 45 minutes. Throw in a handful of baby spinach leaves for the last 5-10 minutes.
I've never eaten or seen "pot roast," so I'm not sure what the traditional consistency is, but this is like a super hearty pasta dish. The meat is fairly shredded by the end and the larger chunks can be cut with a fork. Most of the liquid is absorbed, so it's not soupy at all.
Lesson Learned:
A super easy, super delicious meal that your whole family will love. Seriously, even Evan liked this one. Well, minus the noodles and veggies and with all the "sauce" scraped off the meat, which he then dipped in ketchup. But add raw carrots and pear slices and even he ate a balanced meal!

1 comment :

  1. sounds yummy! while youre at it with the crock pot, let me share our favorite (and easy) BBQ recipe...

    4-6lbs pork shoulder or butt
    2-3 garlic cloves
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons sugar
    favorite bbq sauce

    Season meat with salt and pepper and put in crockpot along with garlic, vinegar, and sugar. Cook on low for 12-14 hours or until meat falls apart. Cooking on high for 6-7 hours works fine too. I use tongs to pull out the bone. Drain meat (should fall apart), reserving some liquid to add to meat to prevent dryness. Stir in favorite bbq sauce and serve on sandwich buns with coleslaw. YUM!

    ReplyDelete