"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Saturday, October 2, 2010

preschool diaries: The Talk

It was inevitable.

I knew, at some point, on some distant day, the time would come to have The Talk with Evan. I just didn't think it would be so soon--he's only three and a half! I assumed that he'd hear something on the playground or on the bus and that he'd have questions for his dad and me. And on that distant day, we'd be ready to talk to him about it. I should have known, though, that the time was near. We are, after all, sending him to preschool at a Baptist Church.....

And so, the other night after dinner, we had our first Family Talk about God.

Let me back up just a bit. Sam is not religious. I, while not a practicing Anything, have studied quite a bit in an effort to find my path. For some time now, I've been somewhere between Agnostic Theism and the Eastern religions (Buddhism and Taoism, in particular), with one foot now making it's way over to the scientific branch of the tree in Noetics. So, needless to say, when our little one came to us with questions about God, we were without a Good Book to consult with.
So here's how it went down:

Evan began singing "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands." I joined in. Evan looked at me, shocked that I would have knowledge of this secretive world of Preschool Sing-a-long Songs. When the song was done, I asked, leading, "Do you know who has the whole world in his hands?"
"God," he said.

Pause.......

"Mommy, who is God?"

[Glance at Sam. I started it, guess I'll take it from here....]

"Well, God is many things to many different people. Some people believe that God is the creator of all of us and of all of the things on Earth. Some people believe that when people die they go to God in Heaven. Some people believe that God is bigger than anything you can imagine and is everywhere around you. Some people believe that God is within each one of us...and we just have to find him there. Some people believe that God is just an idea. People believe different things because of how they were raised or what they were taught. The important thing is to think about what YOU think God is."

Pause.....

Evan: "But does God change color?"

[Glance at Sam.]

Sam: "What do you think about God?"

Evan: "I think God changes color."

And that was that.

Lesson Learned:
"God Changes Color": The chameleon God.....The God that changes as your beliefs/opinions/knowledge base changes? I think this kid is becoming more like me every day. Scary.

No comments :

Post a Comment