"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Friday, September 24, 2010

preschool diaries: mommy assignment FAIL

I really don't want to write this post.

I'm embarrassed to write this post.

I always have it all together. I don't forget things. I'm never late. I keep a calendar and make notes to myself, but I don't need to: It's all in my head and it's all under control.

So on Thursday afternoon, when I opened Evan's Communication Folder from school, imagine my horror when I saw The Note.

"To the parents of Evan: It is imperative that we receive the following forms immediately to complete your child's Information Folder." Followed by a list of documents, four of which had a checkmark by them indicating that they had not yet been received.

Um, excuse me? Me, ME, not return school forms? I don't think so. Not only do I Always Have It All Together, but I'm a former teacher. I know how annoying it is to have to track down missing forms from parents weeks after they were due. I know what teachers think about the parents that can't seem to even get their act together to complete school forms--they must live in a state of chaos....they don't value education.....there is no organization or order in that home. That is not me. That is not my household. This must be some sort of mistake.

So we got home and I threw some lunch together for the starving monkeys. Then, I immediately went to the filing cabinet and found the file, neatly marked "Evan: Preschool," in exactly the place I knew it would be (see? Order. ORGANIZATION!). I opened it and saw.....the forms. With a post-it note attached that said, "To be mailed once medical form is signed by ped."

Oh, god.

I had filed prematurely.

The forms are now in their rightful place: in Evan's Communication Folder, with a note attached that expresses my apologies for my lameness as a preschool mommy.

Lesson Learned:
I think we can all agree that this slip-up can be attributed to Stress Of Unusual Amounts brought on by the start of preschool. But now it's time to get it all BACK together....or to start faking it.

No comments :

Post a Comment