"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e e cummings

Friday, February 26, 2010

busted

So, I admit it. Sometimes....very infrequently....practically never....but sometimes, reading books before bed becomes dull. Maybe it's because by Books Before Bed Time I'm worn out. Maybe it's because I'm just a teensy bit concerned that I'll miss the first few crucial minutes of The Bachelor (there may be something that I missed in those clips from last week's episode!). Maybe it's because we've read Big Machines, Big Buildings roughly 72,000 times. Regardless of why, I'm big enough to admit it. So, I had found a little solution to my problem.

I'd skip a page or two.

Not a lot....and not consecutive pages (THAT would be obvious). But just a page here and there. I had already, of course, memorized the book so I knew which pages I couldn't skip (the pages we had to "discuss" each time: "What's that construction man doing, mommy?" "He's the jackhammer guy." "Oh. And what's that guy doing, mommy?" "He's the shovel guy, sweetie." "Oh. And what's THAT guy doing, mommy?" "He's STILL the bricklayer, honey. Just like he was last night. And the night before that. AND THE NIGHT BEFORE THAT.") But some pages we could just read and move on from. And these were the pages that somehow, very discreetly, became stuck to the page before.

The first time I did it, I looked at Evan out of the corner of my eye as I read the new "next" page. He didn't even furrow his brow. Brilliant! I thought. The next time I did it, I got a little bolder, skipping two pages in the same book! He had no idea! I continued this small deception for weeks. I was shaving seconds off bedtime routine without any consequences! I was still reading the agreed upon Two Bedtime Books, still having quiet snuggle time with my Big Boy....it was a win-win.

Until a couple of nights ago.

I was reading Big Machines, Big Buildings for the 72,001st time and got to the page before the super-boring page where the workman build a super-boring wall. Yawn. So I skipped the wall page. Evan turned to me, blinked a heavy blink, let out what sounded an awful lot like an exasperated sigh and said, "Mommy. You skipped a page. Again."

Oops. Busted.

So I laughed a little Just Got Caught laugh and said, "Yup, sure did! Just wanted to make sure you were still awake!" He just looked at me once more before turning back to the book and turning the page back to it's rightful spot.

Lesson Learned:

Time to sign up for DVR so I don't miss a second of The Final Rose Ceremony.

No comments :

Post a Comment